Tuesday, September 1, 2009

True Blood Makeup: eps 9-11, and red lipstick.



Yeah I do owe you all some True Blood screencaps. The True Blood makeup has just been so boring until the latest episode.



I swear that girl gets more and more like Dita Von Teese every time I see her.

It looks like she's got some blue-ish silvery eyeshadow on (Urban Decay Strip is very good) but I might just be making that shit up, and this fancy powder compact. I don't have a nice powder compact like that and have no clue what it is. YSL? It's a little gold box.



Nah I don't think it's that, but, y'know, it's pretty fancy all the same. Now I have perspective enough to know I don't need it since I'm not really into the whole powder thing and I've already got a powder, but, y'know. If I were the Queen of Louisiana I'd buy that shit. It's got a heart in it! Aww.

Now the obvious: retro-red lips. Yeah there'll be a MAC lipstick you can wear that'll look like that, MAC Red, Ruby Woo, or something, but red is a pretty common colour and I'm sure you'll be able to find an equivalent shade fairly easily. I've used one from Revlon to good effect, it just made me look like a transvestite hooker. This shade of red just ain't for me. Everyone's got a shade of red they think they look the hottest in, but if you're looking for a red like Sophie-Ann's don't get So Scarlet.

Of course I had to put on a red lipstick after the episode and I put on some So Scarlet - it's the red I've committed myself to and it's a kickin' red, but it's nothing like that. It's nothing like Hadley's red lipstick neither (see below). It's way pinker and more cool-toned. It's LE as well, but if you want it you shouldn't be like trawling the internet looking for it. I swatched my red lipsticks and found that my cheap li'l Prestige lipstick is extremely similar to So Scarlet. Prestige lipsticks are alright as well. I find the MAC creamier but So Scarlet is the Amplified formula. I'd say Prestige is just a bit drier than that, and I much prefer the Prestige lipstick over Barry M, which I find a bit powdery. I know Barry M is pretty popular but they don't have a great range of lipstick colours, and no lipstick should feel kind of dry and powdery. The Prestige lipstick colour is a bit sheerer and a tiny bit pinkier than So Scarlet, but when you layer it on your lips they look extremely similar. Hell, they look extremely similar in the tube.







That being said I still have both. I use the MAC for specialer events, like going somewhere kind of posh or a birthday. I guess I'm just attracted to the same colours, over and over again.



Hadley has a warmer brickier shade of red on. It reminds me of an old lipstick I had. It was Nars Spanish Red and was a wonderful self-treat that was way beyond my student budget, until it melted in my drawer into a pool of expensive wax and carmine. Alas. That lipstick was the bomb, I'll get it again when I'm making a good taxable salary. Employ me! Yes.

Nobody else had very noteworthy makeup, except Hoyt's Mama:



she's matched her lips to her earrings to her clothes,



and has gone and glued scary dead spiders on her eyes,

and the Fangtasia White Trash Daytime Guard lady,



who I swear to God is using MAC's Bare Truth lipglass,

but I'll run through their faces anyway from episodes 9 and 10 in a brief montage. They're pretty much all wearing what they've all been wearing most of the season.



Apparently there are only one or two more episodes until the end of the season? Bizarre happenings have occurred in Bon Temps that weren't in the books. Alan Ball has taken the characters and now they inhabit a strange, sexual, Spanish-Moss-draped world with liberal definitions of maenads.

6 comments:

  1. I love True blood! And lol @ the fangtasia lady its just horrid and lafayette does indeed win.
    I want to read the books too, but because i started watching the series first, i have to watch all of them before i read the books ( my mind is weird like that- i usually read the book before i watch the film, but i couldn't this time dammit!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love True blood! And lol @ the fangtasia lady its just horrid and lafayette does indeed win.
    I want to read the books too, but because i started watching the series first, i have to watch all of them before i read the books ( my mind is weird like that- i usually read the book before i watch the film, but i couldn't this time dammit!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Once you read the books you'll realise that... it's totally different! When we watch the show my husband keeps asking me if this and that happens in the book, and I had to tell him that this season it's just radically different.

    The books are pretty good though, I'm waiting for the short story collection that's coming out in October. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Any theories about the lip glaze use by the lips exhaling smoke in the opening credits? I am DYING to get my hands on some!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They just need to realize that people will still watch it if they don't include a sex scene every ten minutes.After watching five episodes, I Watch Ture Blood Online.I can say True Blood stands out as one of the strongest new series in an uncertain fall.

    ReplyDelete